Google Analytics: Enhanced Ecommerce > Impression Tracking

Is there a way of triggering GA's enhanced ecommerce addImpression call

Specifically I want to be able to track the impressions and position of a product on a search result page. Additionally, I'd like to set the other fields as well, variant, brand, list, and custom dimension.

I've read the GA and the Ecommerce documentation several times, as well as, tried to go through the Github code, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

On the Ecommerce documentation the only real reference to impression calls is just a single sentence

"Enhanced Ecommerce allows you to derive insights by combining impression data, product data, promotion data, and action data."

However, there isn't any actual documentation on how to fire impression tracking, and only promotions seems to have the position key.

Is this even possible? If so, is there documentation on these options?

1reply Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hey! Unfortunately, we do not have support for GA's enhanced ecommerce addImpression method at this time.

While we do support an event for Viewed Product, which signifies having viewed the product details page, we don't support the impression event, as analytics.js  creates individual HTTP requests for each track call (there could be 20 or 50-n per page load!).

Here's the extended reasoning on that: https://github.com/segmentio/analytics.js-integrations/pull/544

The best option here is probably to leverage the native GA analytics object by wrapping it in an analytics.ready() function, check the details on this here.

Wish I had a homerun answer for you, but accessing the native GA object is also the only way to use Custom Dimensions and Enhanced Ecommerce together as well.

Let me know if you have more questions around this!

Reply Upvote