Skip to main content

In your companies, which roles are currently responsible for creating audiences in Segment?

• 12 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone, I'm curious to learn more about how your companies are currently building their audience creation processes. Specifically, I'm interested in understanding which roles are involved in this process. Is it primarily handled by the marketing team, the data team, or the product teams?

Hi Juan,

With us for the most part it’s two teams that create audiences. We’ve got our marketing teams creating audiences for CRM/marketing purposes. Then we have the data team creating audiences for mostly technical purposes, for example to facilitate the customer unification process within Unify or to stream audiences to certain tools for analysis or other usage.

We’re trying to get the product teams more onboard with Segment as well so that they can leverage the data to improve their work as well!

Hi @Wouter Hol , thanks for sharing, I would like to ask you a couple of questions based on what you mentioned.

We are trying to add to the marketing team appropriately and have not yet succeeded. In your case, how do you help these teams to know all the information that may be in Segment? Did you apply any naming strategy? create some wiki? or another strategy

Hi Juan, we do a lot of training and demo’s to the teams. We found that just showing the interface and giving demo’s with examples that could be applied to our production environment worked best. This makes it really tangible for the teams.

We’ve got a lot of documentation on Confluence and Clickup on how we’ve set up Segment and what data is available.
We also have a naming convention but that mostly applies to naming sources and destinations.

@juan pablo duque , Segment has been a cross collab implementation with a dedicated team with representatives on Marketing, Data, Product, CX, and Eng. We use Confluence to document our internal naming conventions and Marketing Ops generally creates audiences, with the support of Data if we need to use SQL or Reverse ETL data not currently available in Segment. In general, company wide with the use of Protocols, anyone in Segment has a pretty good understanding of the data that is available.