Question

Facebook Clic Id cookie and FBP cookie are refreshed late

• 24 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone,

We've integrated Segment with both Pixel destination and Conversion API destination on our web properties. The documentation emphasizes the importance of passing the `fbc` (Facebook click ID) and `fbp` (browser ID) cookies in the API events to allow Meta to deduplicate events effectively.

However, we're encountering a synchronization issue described as follows:

1. A user clicks a Facebook ad and lands on the landing page.
  2. Segment initiates, downloading the Pixel via its CDN and sends the `page_view` event to itself. At this point, Meta’s Pixel has not yet activated, so the event sent to Segment may contain either outdated cookies from a previous session or no cookies at all.
  3. Meta’s Pixel then activates and performs the following:
    1. Extracts the Facebook click ID from the URL and either updates the `fbc` cookie or creates a new one if it's not present.
    2. Similarly, it handles the `fbp` cookie, updating or creating it to store the browser identifier.
  4. Meta’s Pixel sends the `page_view` event with the updated cookies to Facebook.

The issue is that the API sends `page_view` events with outdated or missing cookie data, and deduplication for client and api events can’t be done. This mismatch will also go on for further

This synchronization issue seems common with this setup. What strategies could we consider to address this? Any suggestions are welcome.

1 reply

Hi @Leonardo

I have been asking around internally and there are a few directions we can take here for troubleshooting. 

First, someone on our end was curious if having the page_view tracking on both Pixel and CAPI might be duplicative, or if there is a valid reason for doing so? 

Second, an example payload would be helpful for additional context, including what the conversions are for the CAPI and Pixel to compare those. 

Overall there is some curiosity to see how this is flowing on your side. I found this documentation related to the FB CAPI, which it seems you may have referenced already. 

I would be happy to open up a support ticket on your behalf to help get to the bottom of this, and the screenshot(s) would be very helpful for additional context. Let me know and I can open up the ticket directly!