Skip to main content
Question

How Do I Get UTM Data from App into Hubspot?

• 28 August 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi there - I am having issues getting attribution data from users who sign up on my web app (Source) into my Hubspot Destination. The app is capturing UTM parameters, but when that data gets fed into Hubspot from Segment, the Original Source in Hubspot is simply “INTEGRATION” and Original Source Drilldown 1 is “Twilio - Segment.” Ideally, I should be able to populate Hubspot’s native “Original Source” field with where these users are coming from (Organic, Paid Search, etc).

Essentially, I’m unable to see where my web app signups are coming from because Segment is not passing this data correctly. We have the Hubspot Tracking Code installed on our app through Google Tag Manager, but finding this is still not working.

This seems very basic but unfortunately I’m completely stuck. Any ideas?

A few questions to get some context around the issue:

• Are y’all using the “Classic”, “Web (Actions)”, or “Cloud (Actions)” Destination?
    • If either of the latter two, what mapping settings are available for UTM parameters?
  • Are you able to see UTM parameters in the Source debugger?
    • If so, would you share an example or screenshot?

• We are using the “Cloud (Actions)” Destination.
    • It doesn’t look like there are any default mapping settings available for UTM parameters within the Cloud (Actions) destination). However, there is an “Other Properties” mapping option thought that allows you to select an “Event Variable” and map to a “Key Name.
  • We are getting some UTM parameters (see photo)
  •  

A few questions to get some context around the issue:

• Are y’all using the “Classic”, “Web (Actions)”, or “Cloud (Actions)” Destination?
    • If either of the latter two, what mapping settings are available for UTM parameters?
  • Are you able to see UTM parameters in the Source debugger?
    • If so, would you share an example or screenshot?

And, just to verify, you are looking at the “Raw” (not “Pretty”) version of the event, which should look like this:

Also, this filter in the Debugger should make it easy to find events with campaign data:

I am seeing UTM data come in (see my photo above).

Is there additional configuration needed inside HubSpot to receive the UTM parameters? I see that there are both forms and campaigns that can be set up, but that’s the end of my visibility into the issue. Has anyone else had experience with HubSpot? Their documentation doesn’t seem (to me) to point to enabling ingestion of outside events with marketing data.

Hey@Christy Puller - you may need to use the custom properties field and have it pre-mapped in HubSpot. Even if it’s mapped in Segment that looks to be a pre-req. 

Hey@Christy Puller - you may need to use the custom properties field and have it pre-mapped in HubSpot. Even if it’s mapped in Segment that looks to be a pre-req. 

I am not using a Hubspot form for this. Users sign up in our app (not on Hubspot forms) and then we are passing and mapping user data over to Hubspot. However we are having issues when trying to pass UTM data from these user profiles.