Skip to main content

Hi All,

I’m hoping that some others that use Hubspot’s CRM + Segment to extract and load data from there may be able to help with a question that I have. In Hubspot’s CRM data model, there are Contacts (people) and Companies (businesses…these are basically the same thing as Accounts in Salesforce’s data model). Each Contact can be associated with zero, one, or many Companies (so Contacts:Companies is N:N). Additionally, there is a way to designate the association between a Contact and one single Company as the “primary” association.

Out of the box, there do NOT appear to be any fields in the Contacts data the Segment fetches for us that offer either:

1. The full list of IDs for associated Companies
  2. The ID of the primary associated Company

I’d like to find a way to have Segment extract and load at least option #2 (ID of the primary associated Company) and ideally option #1 (full list of IDs for associated Companies). Has anyone found a way to accomplish this? If so, I’d really appreciate details/suggestions.

Lastly, Hubspot does have an API endpoint that specifically offers the ability to retrieve all Association records (which would include these links between Contacts & Companies: click here). However, I have been told by Segment that they do NOT support this endpoint as there is no bulk option. And I’d strongly prefer to not have to build this small, custom integration myself if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you all may have!

Chris @ Flourish

Hey @Chris McDonald,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the HubSpot Destination Integration (https://segment.com/docs/connections/destinations/catalog/actions-hubspot-cloud/). You’ve correctly pointed out the existing gap in our integration related to associating contacts and companies. 

My team is working on an update to the HubSpot integration that is going to be released in July. This will allow you to associate contacts to 1 or many objects such as companies in HubSpot.

This assumes you have the associated data coming into Segment. You mentioned the following that sounds like you might be referring to the Segment <> HubSpot source integration (https://segment.com/docs/connections/sources/catalog/cloud-apps/hubspot/)? I’d like to clarify a few things.

• Where is Segment fetching the data for you from? 
  • Where would you like to send the data to?

Out of the box, there do NOT appear to be any fields in the Contacts data the Segment fetches for us that offer either:

1. The full list of IDs for associated Companies
  2. The ID of the primary associated Company

I’d like to find a way to have Segment extract and load at least option #2 (ID of the primary associated Company) and ideally option #1 (full list of IDs for associated Companies). Has anyone found a way to accomplish this? If so, I’d really appreciate details/suggestions.

@smultani ,

Thanks for following up on my question.

Where is Segment fetching the data for you from? 

I have a Hubspot source that Segment is retrieving data from.

Where would you like to send the data to?

I have a Redshift data warehouse destination that Segment sends the data to.

The problem seems to be that the Associations model in the Hubspot CRM data model is the key to linking Contacts ↔️ Companies (along with other relationships). So until there is a way to have these records fetched and loaded by Segment for us, we will have to look for workarounds (e.g. custom Hubspot fields on the Companies model, custom API integration directly with the Hubspot Associations endpoint, etc.).

Does this answer all of your questions?

Chris

That does answer my questions, thanks! Let me look into this with my team and get back to you by end of week.

Hey @smultani

I'm currently using Hubspot and Segment. Our setup is slightly different. The goal for us is to be able to "ingest" the relationship data model from the CRM, but "inform" the CRM of audience membership.

To do this, we use a data warehouse (snowflake) in between the CRM (Hubspot) and CDP(Segment). We created a Hubspot Snowflake share connection to push CRM data into snowflake, which we do for analytics purposes anyway.

Then we used Segment Reverse ETL to extract the relationship data we need and pushed that into the CDP as Group or Identity events. This ensures profiles in the CDP are associated accordingly to the correct objects and reflect what is in the CRM.