Solved

Setting up Google Analytics 4 Web Destination

• 24 April 2024
  • 3 replies

We have been having difficulties getting GA4 to properly load and ingest data from Segment. Anyone have tips or settings they recommend we use both within GA and within Segment?

icon

Best answer by Julie S 25 April 2024, 16:40

View original

3 replies

If there are more details that may be helpful, but in general:

• Connect GA4 web to analytics.js source
  • Make sure “Set Configuration Mapping” is enabled and loaded with analytics.page
  • Do not fire any GA4 events before the call to gtag.config is completed (you can use tagassistant.google.com to check the series of Google tag events)

Good luck!

I have a similar issue with Stephen. I’ve set the configuration mapping and the events should come after the gtag.config call.

But my problem is that I don’t know how to troubleshoot in real-time since the delivery overview is not working. Do I rely on the tagassistant.google.com preview, the GA4 debugger, or something else?

This is what it looks like for me:

Hope someone can make sense of what’s going on here. I appreciate the help!

For realtime, go to tagassitant.google.com, it is the best troubleshoot resource.  I would also review the the GA4 Web Github Segment repos.  They are open source and by looking at the gtag format in the repo, you should be able to which gtag calls are coming from Segment within tagassistant.

Also there are helpful console extensions.  I’m partial to Adswere datalayer inspector, I’ve been using it for well over 5+ years.  You can see the Segment network requests and the subsequent GA4 calls in the console.